Saturday, June 9, 2007
Something You Just Don't See Everyday
I went to Uncle Laurie's River Cafe with one of the other staff members, Lisa, today and had lunch. Anna and I were on opposite shifts. When we got back, I popped into the store to say hi to Anna, who was just clocking in. I walked outside into the bright afternoon sunlight, and saw a couple of our maintenance guys squinting skyward. Seeing a bunch of other people looking up, I did what any reasonable person would do, I stopped in the middle of the parking lot and looked up too. What I saw was akin to a WWII dogfight. After my eyes adjusted, I could make out an American Bald Eagle chasing an Osprey about 70 feet above our store. The eagle was powerful and deliberate, and the osprey was barely escaping his advances. The eagle would circle around, then streak down towards the osprey, the osprey clumsily and slowly turning to avoid the eagle's claws. I wondered why the osprey was so slow, until I saw that he had something in his claws. Finally, the osprey, sensing that time was running out, released its catch. I saw something shimmering as it flipped end over end on its trip down to earth. The osprey, much speedier now, streaked off into the distance. I walked over to see a small 6 inch rainbow trout lying in the grass. This was the prey that the eagle had been harassing the osprey for. The eagle didn't dare swoop down for it's ill gotten spoils with all the people around, so it too made for the hills. That, my friends, is something you don't see everyday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment